John Plant Company History
In the loft of a barn in New Haven, Connecticut
back in 1918, John D. Plant started the Company which
today is a leading producer of Lightweight Industrial
Gloves. The initial product was a line of conventional
Canvas Work Gloves to which was soon added Pallbearer's
or Undertaker's Gloves. Mr. Plant could see subtle changes
in industry and foresaw its need for a Pallbearer type
glove. Very soon the Lightweight Industrial Glove became
the Company's principal product. Many of the early sales
resulted from the efforts of Mr. Plant's wife, Florence,
who traveled extensively in Connecticut, Massachusetts
and New York by trolley and train.
Through the years the Company has continued
to grow and adapt to changing times. In 1954, a building
was built in Branford, Connecticut to house a knitting
operation. This building was expanded six times to accommodate
the Company's relocation from New Haven in 1960 and
its subsequent growth. A Canadian branch was established
in Ontario in 1963. It was sold four years later. In
1966 at Cedar Falls, North Carolina, a branch was begun
as temporary quarters, while a new building in Ramseur,
North Carolina, was being constructed. The Ramseur building
was expanded in 1970 and in early 1971 became the home
of all the Company's operations. Again in 1977 the Ramseur
Plant expanded to house a knitting operation.
Joint ventures in Malaysia (1976) Sri
Lanka (1979) and Mexico (1999) allowed the Company to
compete with other foreign competitors. In 1988, the
Company began bonding gloves with an automated process
which the Company believes will enable it to continue
as an innovative leader in the glove industry.
In 2004 the Plant family sold the business
to two longtime employees, Robert Jarman and Ron Tesh.
The gloves made literally "Have
a Hand" in the fabrication, assembly and inspection
of many familiar things you see and use daily.
Such items could be an alarm clock, TV,
telephone, battery, plastic tableware, silverware, baby
food jar, light bulb, safety glass, photographic film,
jewelry, panty hose, beverage can, razor, cosmetic product,
pen, cassette and even surgical gloves. The gloves are
also used in the manufacturing or processing of many
things we seldom or may never see; such as: uranium
processing, jet engines, aircraft body and wing assemblies,
film editing, engraving, space hardware, nuclear power,
and so forth.
As the Company's products are used in
such a wide range of industries and for so many varied
applications, the opportunity is still bright for the
Company to continue to expand and grow.
mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
with questions or comments about THE JOHN PLANT COMPANY.
Questions or comments about this web site? Send mail